Book Your Next Check-Up & Clean
How often should I book in?
To keep your teeth and mouth in top shape, you should be visiting your dentist for an exam, checkup and clean at least twice a year.
Regular brushing and flossing is important, but unfortunately is often not enough to remove the stubborn plaque and tartar that slowly accumulates on your teeth.
Despite the rapid pace of technical innovation in the techniques and materials available to dentists, whatever we do still comes a distant second to what nature gave you.
Our approach is to empower and educate our patients that dental disease and failing teeth are not inevitable and that with the correct professional and home care advice, patients can prevent or significantly reduce the amount of dental treatments required.
During your regular check-ups we’ll ask you about any issues encountered since your last appointment. Your dentist will examine your mouth for any signs of cavities, plaque, and gum disease. X-rays will be taken (if we do not hold any on file for you), and then a professional clean is performed to remove any plaque or tartar build-ups from your teeth.
Preventing dental disease is at the core of our practice philosophy here at Contemporary Smiles.
“Dental check-ups play a major role in preventing minor dental problems from developing into something more serious.”
What you should do between visits
It is very important to ensure that you take care of your teeth and gums between your regular dental visits. Plaque is always forming on your teeth, but you can manage this problem by brushing and flossing regularly.
Here are some suggestions for good oral care at home and between dental visits:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Be sure to use a toothpaste that contains a high level of fluoride (we can help you to choose the right toothpaste if required).
- Floss daily.
- Use a mouthwash to help control plaque bacteria. This will also help to keep your breath fresh.
- Don’t wash out the toothpaste from your mouth after brushing.
- Use an electric toothbrush rather than a standard brush.
Facts About: Exams, Check-Ups & Cleans
Here are some interesting facts about regular dental check-ups:
- Regular dental visits (at least every 6-months) are extremely important in order to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- There are two parts to a regular dental visit: The examination, and the check-up and clean. A comprehensive examination should be performed with your dentist periodically, but a check-up and clean should be scheduled with your Oral Health Therapist at least once every six-months.
- During the dental check-up, your dentist will check your overall oral health for any signs of trouble or other concerns you may need to address.
- During the cleaning, your dentist or dental hygienist will remove any plaque and/or tartar build-ups and will polish your teeth as well.
- You should visit the dentist at least twice a year (or as recommended by your dental professional).